SBE Certification Information
SBE Certification Chart
SBE ReCertification Summary - Dave Brett
• SBE Certification is valid for a period of five years. Applications for recertification will be accepted six (6) months prior to the expiration date on your certificate.
• Each of the certifications is renewable by meeting criteria for employment in the broadcast industry. SBE groups the requirements according to which certification you hold, but in general the requirement is you were employed during the period of your original certification. The groupings are as follows and you should check the SBE website for the details.
o Certified Radio Operator (CRO) and Certified Television Operator (CTO).
o Certified Broadcast Technologist (CBT).
o Certified Broadcast Networking Technologist (CBNT), Certified Audio Engineer (CEA), Certified Video Engineer (CEV), Certified Broadcast Radio Engineer (CBRE), Certified Broadcast Television Engineer (CBTE), Certified Broadcast Networking Engineer (CBNE), Certified Senior Radio Engineer (CSRE), Certified Senior Television Engineer(CSTE) and Certified Professional Broadcast Engineer (CPBE). These certifications differ from the others in that there is a requirement for Continuing Education as explained below.
o Certified 8-VSB Specialist (8-VSB), Certified AM Directional Specialist (AMD) and Certified Digital Radio Broadcast Specialist (DRB). These certifications are specialists and are renewed by application and payment of a fee.
• Continuing Education. For the certifications requiring continuing education credits, each person must participate in the Maintenance of Certification Program. He or she may do this by accumulating the required professional credits every five (5) years. There is good news here as CE credits accumulate for a number of activities including attending meetings, attending Webinars, employment in broadcast, and seven more categories. See the links for more information.
• Examination. In addition most of the certifications are also renewable by examination. Check the website for details.
• Upgrade. Certifications may also be renewed by upgrading to a higher level certification.
Additional information is found here: